Saturday 25 February 2017

Spirits

I found the spirit that I needed
It lifted me up from my chair.
Paused my breathing.
It was raw yet frigid,
Clawed at my throat.
Though it lacked weight
This drink helped me float.

It flowed in my glass- mirror
Image of myself looking back,
Fuzzy like my vision,
Blurred like my past.
To a witness in the bar they
See a fallen figure double down
Dousing fires in their soul
But the liquor burns them quicker,
Till the fire behind their eyes
 let’s you gaze into their hell.

I prayed I’d never do this:
Never follow a father,
Who preached Vatican titles,
Yet smothered his issues
in booze and substance abuse.
Then went to church the next day
and begged for his forgiveness,
who then came later anyway
continuing misuse.
I’m not a man of faith
But I will not be a liar
Ill pray to any god who’ll love me,
Stop me drinking

Like my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment